Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Bible

Such a large and cumbersome book, but you see every traveler from every country with their head stuck in some version of it. And it's funny because as we pack and repack our most necessary possessions, which we must decide are important enough to carry on our backs, this large and heavy book is never left behind. You can almost tell how long a person has been traveling based upon how often they refer to it or how close they carry it. And yes I started with one, but I did quickly discard it. When I revealed this information to a traveler I meet along the way she gasped as if my words were blasphemes. She even said she was going to write home about this brave Indian, sorry I mean Native American, who traveled without one. And if you didn't know better and you watch the way we wander around the world each with a copy of this one book, it does on some level look like we are all from the holy cult of "The Lonely Planet", some being members of the sect "The Rough Guide", but both of the same mind.

On the bus ride to Pushkar I met a sweet Swiss couple who were bright eyed and held their Bible quite close. They asked where I was going to stay in Pushkar. I replied, "Several of my friends who have just come from Pushkar recommended the Moon Cafe so I think I'll stay there." They asked, "Have you made reservations?" I reply, "What?" Not in a condescending tone, just with a certain sense of surprise since I truly hadn't thought of it. They quickly refer to their "good book" and the woman looks at me in shock and awe and a slight sense of disbelief. She proclaims,"But, that place is not in the book!" I told her I didn't carry a book so I didn't know what was or wasn't in the book. She looked at me, I swear, with the same reproach someone would give a true heathen. Needless to say they did not join me at the Moon Cafe.

Traveling without the book just means not staying where everyone else stays, and being in the mental space I am right now, that sounds like exactly what I want to do....I'm even switching out of the Moon Cafe tomorrow, because though it is lovely, there is a bit of a scene there...and as out of character it is for me I am seeking utter and complete solitude right now. And I really don't mean to be blasphemis, I am a believer and follower of the Lonely Planet cult. I have spent countless hours with my head stuck in that book preparing for my trip, or for my next move. And now that I am without the book, I guess there is some excitement to finding a place on my own...without the suggestion of others.

Today I found this lovely cafe called the Dreamland. They have a rooftop restaurant and I decided to duck in to while scrambling away from one of the many beggars India has to offer. And the story to tell about this place I have kept in my hand written journal, and so to avoid repetition I'll just say I enjoyed myself enough that I'm going to return there now for some food and to finish my sweet Shantaram....my bible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home